In order to obtain a visa and cross the state border of the Republic of Belarus foreign citizen must have a certificate of insurance of a foreign country, satisfying the appropriate specific requirements, or take out health insurance at border checkpoints.
Health insurance should meet the following requirements:
- contain the name of a foreign insurance company and its location, phone numbers or international assistance services, as well as the surname, first name, patronym (if any) of the foreign citizen;
- distribute its effect on the territory of the Republic of Belarus;
- be valid for a period of temporary stay or temporary residence of a foreign citizen in the Republic of Belarus;
- to provide the insured amount should be not less than 10,000 euros.
Аvailability of health insurance can be confirmed by an insurance policy, an insurance card or other document, containing information about health insurance.
Health insurance will be checked according to the established criteria, when getting visas, while foreign nationals who are allowed with a visa-free entry should present the health insurance at checkpoints at the state border of the Republic of Belarus.
If foreign citizens have no insurance policy (certificate of insurance) satisfying the appropriate requirements and refuse to take out a compulsory health insurance at border checkpoints of the Republic of Belarus, located at international airports, they get a refusal of entry to the Republic of Belarus according to the legislative acts of the country.
List of nationalities that do not need compulsory health insurance.
- citizens of the member-states of the CIS (the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Moldova, the Republic of Tajikistan, the Republic of Uzbekistan, Ukraine) in accordance with the Agreement on medical assistance to the citizens of the Member-States of the Commonwealth of Independent States (March 27, 1997, Moscow);
- citizens of the Russian Federation in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Belarus and the Government of the Russian Federation on the procedure for medical assistance to the Belarusian citizens in health care institutions of the Russian Federation and for Russian citizens in health care institutions of the Republic of Belarus (January, 24, 2006, St. Petersburg);
- citizens of Turkmenistan in accordance with the Memorandum between the Government of the Republic of Belarus and the Government of Turkmenistan on cooperation in the sphere of public health, medical (pharmaceutical) science, education and provision of medical assistance to the citizens of the Republic of Belarus and Turkmenistan (November 5, 2013, Ashgabat).
Interaction of health organizations with Belarusian insurers and medical assistance for foreign citizens when medical care is required.
- If a foreign citizen contacts a medical institution or in case of bringing him/her to an institution by ambulance (emergency) medical staff must:
- establish the identity of the foreign citizen;
- find out whether the foreign citizen’s insurance or proof of the existence of health insurance meets the relevant criteria, if yes, then assist him with emergency medical assistance;
- report to the telephone number listed in the insurance policy, or any known telephone of the corresponding insurer of the insured person about his contact to a medical facility, as well as the number of his insurance policy (in case of the presence of the foreign citizen’s compulsory medical insurance);
- report to Medical Assistance on the phone or to the insurer of the insured person's admission to a medical institution, the name of a foreign insurance company with which the foreign citizen has contracted for health insurance, the medical insurance number (in case of the presence of the foreign citizen health insurance).
If the foreign citizen has concluded a contract of health insurance with a foreign insurance institution (an insurance policy, insurance card or other document confirming the availability of health insurance contract), the report on admission of a foreign citizen in the medical institution should be made by health care workers to «Your Assistance» at the telephone number +375 17 399 57 68.
Information on visa-free travel via the checkpoint “Minsk National Airport”
According to the Presidential Decree, effective from July 27, 2018, foreign citizens of 74 countries* can enter Belarus for up to 30 days** and exit from the territory of Belarus only through the State border checkpoint of the Republic of Belarus “Minsk National Airport”.
The given order of visa-free movement through the airport does not extend to persons coming to Belarus by plane from the Russian Federation, as well as to those who intend to fly to the airports of the Russian Federation (such flights are considered as internal ones and do not have border control).
The term of visa-free stay is calculated in calendar days; the first day corresponds to the date of arrival, the last day coincides with the date of departure (regardless of the time of arrival and/or departure).
Visa-free regime does not extend to holders of diplomatic, service, special and other passports equivalent to them.
The trip is carried out for private, business, tourist or other purposes not related to employment, commercial activity and education, if the term of education exceeds 30 days.
To enter the Republic of Belarus in the visa-free regime via the checkpoint “Minsk National Airport”, foreign nationals should have the following documents:
- a valid ordinary passport. The passport must be valid at least 90 days beyond intended date of departure from the Republic of Belarus;
- financial means: amount equivalent to not less than 2 base rates for each day of stay or 50 base rates if the stay is full 30 days, in Belarusian rubles or foreign currency;
- a medical insurance policy with coverage for at least 10 000 euros, valid in Belarus during the whole duration of stay.
For citizens of Vietnam, Haiti, Gambia, India, China, Lebanon, Namibia, Samoa a valid multiple visa of the EU member states or Schengen zone with a mark in passport on crossing the border of these states and tickets with confirmation of departure from “Minsk National Airport” within 30 days from the date of entry is a compulsory additional requirement.
NB: When staying in Belarus for more than 5 working days, foreign citizens need to register with the local field office of the Department of Citizenship and Migration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Belarus. When staying in hotels, hostels, sanatoriums and other collective accommodation facilities the registration of foreign citizens is carried out by the administrations of such facilities by default upon check-in.
The term of visa-free stay can not be extended beyond the established 30 days.
*Attachment to the Presidential Decree “On establishment of visa-free entry and exit of foreign nationals” (List of States)
** including dates of arrival and departure
Certificate of state registration № 192289319